Red is the color of romance and passion, but is not for the faint of heart… especially when it comes to creating red bedrooms.
Because the color red can be both daring and stimulating, it is considered by many design experts, such as HGTV, to be a design tool that heightens the senses and therefore needs to be used with caution. From the strong reds including fire engine red & crimson to the more muted reds of Merlot & rust, there are many ways that you can incorporate the color red into the bedroom the help set a particular mood.
Painting the walls red can help make a bedroom feel more intimate, or you can use red on a single feature wall to draw attention to a particular part of the room or create a unique destination space in the bedroom. There are also quick and easy ways to add red to a bedroom, to incorporate a pop of color, through bedding, accent rugs, and decor accents.
If you are thinking of creating a beautiful and passionate red bedroom, here is some helpful advice on how to create an effective red bedrooms design.
- Keep it simple: Red can definitely be overwhelming and more than one wall would probably do best for most rooms, however if that’s not possible then just focus on using the shade as an accent piece by choosing pieces such as bedding or accessories in this hue.
- Add natural elements: This color naturally speaks about warmth so bringing nature into your home through items like wood furniture, plants and stone will help balance out any room decorated with this bold pop of color.
- Go neutral elsewhere: While taking advantage of all the shades within the paint color red is a great way to add some extra depth and dimension, it’s important not to create too much of a contrast by pairing this with bright white elsewhere as the effect can be quite jarring. Instead opt for light colored walls or even wallpaper in neutral tones like cream or beige that will help better showcase your new red bedroom decor ideas.
- Pick up on other colors: If you are going for more than one pop of color within your room make sure they all pair well together and use similar hues such as blue and green paired with pops of yellow which will complement each other without contrasting too drastically against the bold shade.
- Save it for accents only: Don’t go overboard when looking at pieces in stores or even when looking online and think that you need to buy everything in red, because this could quickly turn into a very expensive and stressful design project. Instead look for items like lamps or accessories such as throw pillows that can easily be switched out without too much cost if the color doesn’t work with your new decor ideas down the line.
- Add personal touches: When choosing what type of look you want to go for keep in mind which room it is (kids vs master) but also consider how many people might be using it regularly; do not make any furniture pieces inaccessible by putting them against walls unless they are needed there due to space limitations. If possible try to choose fabrics with patterns on them instead of solid colors so they don’t clash with your red bedding ideas.
- Make it functional: As always, you want to make sure that all pieces in the room are able to be used and not just taking up space for decoration which can be a common mistake when decorating bedrooms. If there is no need for extra seating then avoid getting chairs or benches but instead opt for built-in storage solutions if possible as they often end up being more practical options than purchasing many small items of furniture.
As you see, creating red bedroom designs can seem overwhelming at first but by following these simple steps along with some helpful tips on where to shop online you’ll quickly notice how easy it really is! Just remember that is usually more so don’t overdo it!
If you need inspiration on how red can be used to up your bedroom decor game, here are a few brilliant & fiery design and decor ideas.
The Richness of Red Bedrooms
Red can feel contemporary, traditional, rustic, or timeless, depending on how it’s used and what shade is applied. Because red is such a strong color, you don’t have to go overboard with how much red is used. Just a small touch of red can add drama to an otherwise neutral room or warm up a cooler room.
Red represents passion, love, and courage. It stimulates our appetite for life and warns us of danger. Red is the color most often associated with romance, sexual activity, and birth. It’s also known to stimulate hunger which might explain why so many restaurants use red in their decorating schemes! So you have to be careful to limit your bedtime snacking!
When you want to feel confident then choose red as your bedroom decor choice – it will help boost your self-esteem! And if that wasn’t enough, did you know that studies have shown that wearing something red makes us perceive other people around us as more attractive?
Here are some examples of some Red Bedrooms We Love. Follow the Shop the Look links to see more details at our affiliated retailer websites.
How to Style a Bedroom with Red
Another tip for creating the perfect red bedrooms design is to consider your shade of choice and find out which colors pair well together – here are some examples:
Red & Green
This combination can be great if you want some extra warmth in your room without breaking away from this bold hue, making it ideal for an accent wall or even as part of a bedding set while opting for neutrals elsewhere. You could also try adding pops of green within house plants or small accessories like throw pillows on existing furniture pieces such as sofas or armchairs. However, be careful with both the amount and the shades that you use, as you don’t want your bedroom to look like Christmas year-round (unless that’s what you’re going for!)
Red & Blue
One great option when considering different color combinations that work well near one another would definitely be red and blue which is perfect for any modern room design. For example, try using a bold statement piece of furniture like an armoire in this shade paired with matching bedding but then contrasting it against the wall by painting it white or even pastel shades such as cream if you want to be extra cautious that your bedroom decor doesn’t become too overwhelming.
Red & Yellow
A great option when looking at different colors is pairing red with yellow which can create some stunning results especially if they are used together sparingly across multiple pieces within your new bedroom ideas without overpowering the space around them. Try opting for smaller accessories like lamps or vases with flowers inside instead of huge pieces so they don’t take over the entire room.
Red & White
By looking at the bold shade of red and pairing it with a neutral white you’ll create some gorgeous bedroom decor ideas that will look perfect in any space due to the simplicity behind this combination without needing too many additional items in order to make it stand out.
Of course, when creating your own design plan for your new home or even just trying to update an existing one, please keep us in mind as we would love nothing more than being able to help our valued customers by providing them with all kinds of stylish home furnishings. We hope you enjoy reading about these other great color combinations!
Red & Gray
Another great option when considering different color combinations that work well near one another would definitely be red and gray which is perfect for any modern room design as they are both neutrals but still really impactful especially if used together sparingly across multiple pieces within your new bedroom ideas without overpowering the space around them. Try opting for smaller accessories like lamps or vases with flowers inside instead of huge pieces so they don’t take over the entire room.
Red & Black
One of the most iconic color combos when it comes to decorating bedrooms is red and black which can create some really bold results that are sure to stand out no matter what. Try using this color combination in one area such as an accent wall while then contrasting against other pieces within your new bedroom ideas by choosing furniture or bedding.
By pairing the bold shade of red and with a neutral black you’ll create some gorgeous bedroom decor ideas that will look perfect in any space due to the simplicity behind this combination without needing too many additional items in order to make it stand out.
Traditional Red Bedroom with Wrought Iron Bed
A striking contrast of black and off-white furniture against a strong red accent wall.
Bright & Bold Modern Red Flowers Bedroom
The pops of red are scattered throughout this black and white bedroom through the floral comforter, floor pillow, framed art, table lamp, and more.
Modern Country Red Bedroom
This cozy modern country bedroom features muted red walls that work perfectly with wood furniture and plaid bedding.
Modern Eclectic Red Bedroom Design
A dramatic red bedroom with Asian-inspired accents.
Cottage Country Red Guest Bedroom with Twin Beds
This cozy guest bedroom uses a warm red accent wall behind the white panel beds. This could work just as well with a larger Queen or King bed.
Glam Bedroom with Dark Red & Gold Curtains
A very glamorous bedroom, this feels like Old Hollywood. The rich red & gold curtains really finish this room off and create a sophisticated and sultry look.
Rustic Red Plaid Bedroom
This cozy winter look is quickly and easily achieved by adding an inviting Red Plain comforter to this rustic bedroom.
Crisp Modern Red Bedroom
Bright and lively, this room uses a mix of red, white, and blue to create a delightful bedroom space.
Red Storage Alcove Bedroom
Although not an entirely red bedroom, this storage-centric room uses red to accentuate the sleeping space and create a wonderfully functional yet chic bedroom.
Traditional Elegance Rust Red Bedroom
Red Bedrooms can be bright and lively or warm and subdued, as seen in this lovely example of an elegant, traditional bedroom.
Red Floral Bedroom
You don’t need to repaint or replace the furniture to add a stunning touch of red to your bedroom.
Red Christmas Bedroom
This room has been given a seasonal update by adding a beautiful red, Christmas-themed comforter, pillow, and some red decor accents to give the room a seasonal facelift.