Getting ready to redecorate a room… keep these 9 decor no-nos in mind
1. Furniture that is too big or too small for a room. Too big will crowd the space, too small will make your room look disproportionate.
2. A random area rug in the middle of a room creates a disconnect from the rest of the space…. not to mention a safety hazard. As a general rule (and keeping in mind that decorating rules can often be broken), a rug should be under at least something in the room. This is often seen when trying to sell a rug (like this image from eBay), but is not practical for day-to-day living.
3. Too many patterns. Your life may be super busy, your decorating shouldn’t be.
4. The “Spin the Room” style of furniture arrangement (where all of the furniture is pushed up against a wall) doesn’t open up the space as many people may believe. Create unique groupings within the space and create a more open, airy look.
5. Just because it’s cute doesn’t mean it necessarily has a place in your room. If you have too many collectibles or decor accents, consider rotating them for a constantly fresh display.
6. Decorating with guilt. Just because it’s been passed down from generation to generation doesn’t mean it needs to be on display in your room. Only use it if you love it, otherwise, find a less conspicuous place for it.
7. Just because you can buy throw pillows in every size, shape, color, and texture… doesn’t mean you should.
8. If you use a level to make sure that every single piece of art hanging in your room is at the same height, you’ve spent a lot of time creating an uninteresting look. Mix it up a little.
9. Following a trend, especially if you are doing so JUST for the sake of the trend, will make your house look good to others, for a while, but it won’t be a place you enjoy… and it certainly won’t be worth the work required to redo the space when that trend passes. Home decor that is “on trend” is perfectly acceptable if it also appeals to your personal style, but don’t do things just because you’ve heard that it’s the “next big thing”.